Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Pitfalls of the New Age: Trust (2011)

I've never done this, but after seeing this movie, I decided to write about it. I'm not a big movie goer, so I decided to watch something today. Unfortunately, the theatre close by has sparse selections, so I chose the movie Trust, on sheer whim. And I know, it would be a difficult one to watch.



Trust is the story of a 14-year old girl, Annie, who is raped after meeting up with an older guy she met over the internet.

That's the basic summary there. Trust was difficult for me to buy, and watch. I knew the girl was going to get raped, and the anxiety was frightful, to say the least. Nevertheless, I stuck by and watched the whole movie. Rape is a tough subject to talk about, and this movie does well in traversing the topic. The mom and dad, upon hearing the news, are devastated, but Annie doesn't initially share their views, believing the man loves her. News of the rape affect the father the most, as he dedicates himself to catching the rapist.

Honestly, I can't say much without spoiling the movie as a whole. It's a piece on the struggle rape brings upon a family and its victim, as well as the perils that befall the new age of technology as well the naivetivity of the new, rapidly growing, technologically proficient generation. This also brings up the nature of protecting kin from such events that occur in the movie.

The movie is short. Less than two hours. And the progression Annie goes through for her rapist is chilling, and frightful. We can only protect our loved ones so much, and yet with all this new technology seizing attention from children and teenagers, the job becomes increasingly difficult. I won't talk about the ending, but stay for the credits as I always do.

Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment